Monday, July 27, 2009

Editing as a Mirror of Our Discernment Process


Most of us have had the experience in a class when Michael makes adjustments to our images during the image review. He quickly brings what is hidden into the light, adjusts blown out areas, and shows us how to bring our image to mirror what we have seen. He has a great sense of this from many years of looking.

Since we began using iPhoto and digital cameras, Michael has been working with me through the process of correcting the adjustments I have made. I have felt that this refined sense of detail is something that is far less developed in me and I have paid close attention to what adjustments he makes and why. How does one develop this ability to understand and remember these subtleties such as the details in a shadow and how dark it was, the exact hue of a color? I have realized that in order for me to be able to make accurate adjustments, I need to develop a depth of looking often absent in my discernment. I have become very aware that I actually often don’t have a clear memory of subtle aspects such as how dark the shadows were or the exact hue of a wall.

It’s not just that there is light and dark, color, but how much, what shade, exactly? How much detail is there in the shadows, how much contrast between light and dark?

I have been able to get by for quite a while without paying close attention to these subtle details. I guess I felt my excellent camera would take an accurate image and I didn’t need to take the time to notice. And even though adjustments do end up needing to be made, I can fix the image in IPhoto, or so I have thought. I have been able to guess so far based on my vague memory of how it looked. But because the detail has been lacking in my memory, the result is a blind spot in my editing process.

And since I don’t remember the details, what is the basis for how I make my adjustments? Michael will say, “It didn’t look like that. It was darker.”

Darker? I always want to lighten everything up. Always. It’s a true bias. Sometimes I want to make sharp what is soft, even if that’s not how it looked. It makes me feel more comfortable. Once I get to work using the midrange adjustments, I want to see the detail in the shadows or more richness in the color. I make a decision after glancing at the image what needs to be adjusted.

I am really making a conscious effort to look longer and commit to memory the color, tonal hue, contrast, and subtleties of my perception so that editing can be based entirely upon what the perception was. This seems important to me. “Winging it” will come out in the final image. Digital gadgetry can easily compensate for lack of refined awareness in the photographer, but it is used at the cost of the precision, fullness and vibrancy of the image.

Here are some questions I received from Paul Giguere recently regarding cropping and editing:

Hi Julie,

One topic that gets a lot of attention is the issue of cropping photos. Now I know that is usually discouraged (it is the flash of perception as you see it in the moment that is important, not what you want to see later in post production) however, I notice many people use zoom and telephoto lens when practicing Miksang and is this not cropping of a sort? I find it hard to believe that someone was stopped by something when the distance-to-subject is several hundred feet away. What are your thoughts on in-the-field cropping?

I have another follow-on question regarding post-production of our photos. Some who practice Miksang state that no post-production should be done (at all, no exceptions). The photos right off the card are the final versions of the photos. Period. I find this kind of severe. I know both you and Michael Wood do minor post production on photos (curves, levels, etc. . . at least in the workshop any way) in order to bring the photo more in line with what your perception was at the moment the photo was taken. The issue is further complicated when using JPEG (the camera applies many kinds of presets to "improve" the image) or RAW (which needs some tweaking as the image is usually not ready right out of the camera). Thoughts?

Thanks much,
Paul

Dear Paul,

Thank you for your comment and question. We are not opposed to cropping as long as it is used to eliminate what is extraneous to the perception. Sometimes because of the lens we are using or because of where we are in relation to the perception we have to settle for extra in the viewfinder. It is our decision to make that there is too much extra to make sense. In that case we just walk away from it.

Likewise, if our perception is a different shape than the viewfinder, there is no reason the final image should not be cropped so that it expresses the dimensionality of the perception. After all, we don’t see in a certain aspect ratio. Sometimes our perception is long and narrow, or square.

Check out this image Michael took at the Great Sand Dunes in Colorado as an example of this:







Lenses are tools to shoot our perceptions. If we see something across the street and we shoot it with a 50mm lens, there will be so much in the image that is not part of our perception that it will be lost. Someone looking at the image won’t be able to tell what stopped us. Even if we cropped the image, the final result might be ridiculously small. This is too much work and the result weak. If we have a zoom lens that will express the perception accurately then we can use it. Otherwise, we might want to bring our attention in a bit so that what we see in the viewfinder is the perception with nothing extra included.

Cropping is not a tool to improve upon our original perception. It can be used, however, to eliminate anything extra and bring the image in line with the perception. This is always the prime directive, to bring the image to the state that expresses the perception, nothing more - nothing less. Whether we lighten, darken, sharpen, bring up mid-tones, whatever we do with our adjustments, it is only to accomplish this purpose.

Thanks Paul.

Julie

Please join in the discussion on the topic of editing!

© Julie DuBose 2009

Great National Sand Dunes Photograph © Michael Wood 2009

8 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Julie,
    reading your thoughts about the editing process I guess part of the editing process is also the ability to keep in contact with my flash. I think there are somatic markers to feel the flash, a kind of 'yes' in my body. I had the experience that during making adjustments the image turned into another character and this feeling got lost.

    Furthermore I have a question: I'm preparing an exibition. So my fine and also difficult job is to choose the pictures I'm going to present. There are a lot of questions about glossy or not et cetera... But the essential question is: Which imgages are the right ones to be shown. Again I'm messing around with this "good-foto-thing". I start to watch the reactions of my friends. Which fotos get reactions that are showing me people are feeling vividness & freshness? But isn't that to much orientation to the viewer's point?
    What do you think?

    warm regards
    Hiltrud

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Hiltrud.

    Great to hear from you.

    Your comment about editing and somatic markers that keep you in contact with the flash is really interesting. It got me thinking about what I feel when I’m looking at my images during editing. When looking at an image becomes a “full-bodied” experience, I know that it’s a keeper. And part of that full-bodied experience is that my mind is full and empty at the same time. The experience fills my mind so that there isn’t anything happening in my mind but that perception, penetrating and vivid, like a room filled with light. I am completely in that experience. And empty like a tremendous spaciousness with no room for thoughts and story line to come up about the image. This is my litmus test.

    When contemplating which images to use for your exhibit, the main point is that this continuity continues through the print that you make for the exhibit. The glossy paper or details are of course all part of the presentation, but the main point is that the continuity is present in the images you pick. You can play with your choice of images. I like to include my favorites, what I really resonate with the most, what were strong moments for me. Your choices are like snapshots of your direct experience from when you began studying Miksang until now, so what you choose for this exhibit will most likely not be shown again as you will have many new images next time. So I would encourage you to be bold and choose the ones that you personally feel are the strongest.

    And if you stay with the ones with the full-bodied experience for you, you can’t go wrong.

    Warm Regards,

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Julie,
     
    I have a question about a topic that is not directly related to your last post.  I have observed, in the two classes I've taken with you and Michael, that in general Miksang practitioners tend to be of a certain age range, and that I have tended to be on the younger end of the group.  I remember seeing once that Chögyam Trungpa Rinpoche gave meditation classes to children.  I am interested in how younger people can use meditation and centering techniques in dealing with emotions and conflict, and it seems to me that contemplative photography might be a powerful practice to help some kids who are receptive to it.
     
    Is Miksang something that can only be of benefit to adults?  I wonder if you or Michael could comment on this.
     
    Thank you,
     
    Cody Robertson

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Cody.

    Thank you for your interesting question!

    There have been a number of Miksang students who have been inspired to teach Miksang to children. My advice to all of them has been to keep it very simple, because adults, especially those who have their own points of view about themselves, tend to complicate their presentations with their own perspectives. These adult perspectives can make it more difficult for young people to connect to something intrinsically innate and simple.

    The age is relevant, because the young person needs to have some self-awareness. The onset of puberty is an excellent time to introduce meditation as well as Miksang because self-absorption seems to be fully in gear. There is tremendous energy and curiosity there at this age, and lots of confusion. In short, it’s a very fertile ground for synchronizing eye and mind in the present moment!

    We have had Miksang students write us after classes to describe changes that have occurred in them as a result of the experience of direct perception, increases of appreciation, confidence and passion, a sense of belonging in the world again, and feeling more open to the unknown and new experiences. This can happen without specifically discussing ways that this practice can benefit one’s life in the course. People will take from it whatever they bring to it, and it’s important to remember that we present the map, but beyond that it’s an open situation.

    Miksang is connecting with our basic, innate wisdom of clear seeing and also it's an effective means to let go of whatever we are clinging to, our habitual patterns. That gives all of us room to breathe, grow, and feel good about ourselves. That ends up being very therapeutic, although it’s not designed to be that way. In the process of learning how to be present in this moment, to let go of our preoccupation with our hopes and fears, and to connect with and appreciate our world, we can come home to our basic sense of well-being, and that in and of itself is healing.


    All the best,
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  6. hi there!

    this is so strange, my name is alejandra, im a graphic design student, and im doing my thesis about "minimalist photography", so I was searching on the internet about the theme, and I found the "miksang photography", this is so new to me, I never heard before, so im just wondering where can i find more information about this?, is there a book? or some info about when and where this movement begin?...

    thanks.
    Alukandra.


    Hi Alukandra. Thank you for your comment. I assume that minimalist photography has to do with simplicity, is that correct?

    I would suggest that you read the entire website. There is a lot of information about it right here, on every page. Then if you really want to experience it, come to an Introductory Level.

    There aren’t any books on this subject at the current time. So this website is your primary source material. Watch the Quiet Mind film and go to the interviews with Michael. That should be all you need.

    Best wishes,
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Michael and Julie . . .

    Right now I'm in a database quandary due to various issues. I found Light Room to be a bit unpredictable and terrible at organization. I tried iPhoto for its simplicity but soon realized that I would run out of hard disk space and I was not able to easily archive my catalog onto external drives.

    I have now been using Aperture and find it to be the most intuitive and flexible database so far. I can easily access my catalog using portable external drives on my desktop or laptop wherever I am. However, I am scared to become too entrenched in this software because of its current bugs and delays in new version updates. Right now I am waiting to see when the next version of Aperture will be released. I have so much editing to do that I can't wait much longer! Any thoughts?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi JuliAnne, Here are some thoughts on your entry from Michael.

    I have some thoughts on image editing, as it is something I contemplate it a lot. I have tried both Aperture and Lightroom and don't use either. Life is too short for the level of complexity they present. I do not dwell in the realm of image ratings or geo-tagging, and I find the slick interfaces just too much to handle.

    I only use iPhoto. It is all quite simple. I have an event for each month that goes all the way back to my days in Halifax, as well as an event for all my scans of 35mm slides. As the month goes by, I take a look at what I have and edit down to the images with presence and juice and happily let go of the ones that do not. After a couple of months I go back to an event and see how it stands and usually take out a few more that did not stand the test of time. Most of my monthly events over the past year have been narrowed down to 50 - 60 images from the original batch. I have no problem with backing up images. My iPhoto Library is backed up each day via Time Machine. Very simple indeed. If I want to print something, I revert to the original and output it to Photoshop. If I want to do a daily photo, I size it for the web (650 pixels) and send it to my desktop.

    To me, editing is a joy and journey and complex cataloging programs such as these take the joy out of it. So what interests me the most is how to keep what I really want and rid myself of what is extraneous, and that is what I would really like to discuss as it is such an essential part of the Miksang Journey.

    It is always such a relief to boil things down to the very essence (like reduction cooking). Julie and I were cleaning out kitchen cupboards and the garage recently and the same thing came up again ad again. Do we really need this? How many pots or vases or hammers does one really need? Were we holding on to some dish for sentimental reasons that we would probably never use? Now it is wonderful to go to the pots and pans drawer and find the ones that have good quality and that we actually use, rather than having to pull or push the ones we never use out of the way. I went through a drawer of steak knives recently and realized that half of them could not cut through a lemon - I was just mindlessly holding on to them, so they are gone, and now when I go for a knife, I know it will cut through paper, let alone a lemon. Perhaps it is where I am in my life, but this seems to be the basic thrust - keep things refined and keep what I have some connection and passion for.

    In terms of my editing process I have a couple of ways of working. I shoot every day, which becomes an event in iPhoto. The next morning before I send out a daily image, I go through the event and with a fresh mind take a hard look. In doing so I ask myself if I can still connect to the moment - does the image truly express my experience of seeing? Did I get caught in some conceptual trap and fall right into an infamous 'cute alert' pit? Was I able to use the camera and lens properly and form the actual equivalent, or was I sloppy with exposure or depth of field? And beyond this I ask myself - 'If I died today and this was the last batch of images I ever took, would I be pleased to leave them behind? I try and do this each morning.

    If we are travelling, at the end of the day I do some editing and flush the ones that fell short in terms of discerning the perception or forming the equivalent. The next morning I take another look and refine further. At the end of a trip I combine all the trip events into one new one, e.g. Paris October 2009 and spend a little more time refining again. The last thing I want to do is to come home and have to face thousands of perceptions that I had weeks or months ago. I reflect on them while the experience is still recent and fresh.

    As we have often stated, the only way to navigate them is to walk steadily on the two legs of genuineness and confidence. And this applies to cataloging and editing, needless to say.

    Best Wishes,
    Michael

    ReplyDelete